Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Rear, I mean Year, End Review

Nothing makes the Angry White Mom more bored than the Year-End Review spots that absolutely every media source drags out at the end of every December.  As if we were not familiar enough with the crap we have endured for the past 12 months.Those who really care about celebrity deaths already know who reached the Great Beyond this year. For the rest of us, the list is merely depressing. As for any real historic value, the belchings and  writhings of a Congress terminally ill with Obama Derangement Syndrome, now with an amazing overall approval  rating of 9%,  will be forgotten and dismissed by most Americans as a bad dream, if they give it any thought at all.
Its not that I am against looking at the past and evaluating its continuing affect on our present, its just that at this time of year is seems a bit overdone, like reheated Christmas turkey. Instead, though, I prefer to use the New Year as a reminder to look forward into obligations and potentials of the next bend in the river. I think is a much better use of my time to take the dregs of the past year and toss them back quickly, as bitter as they may be, and hold out my cup for the new brew.
Already this new year has quite a bit more going for it than last year.  First off, I am employed.  Having been unemployed for four years it is still an exhilarating feeling even after nearly six months on the job.  The job itself, as janitor at a Texas roadside rest area, is,  in a word, nasty.  The pay is pathetic. The facility is uncomfortable --hot in the summer, cold as hell in the winter. The standards are strenuous, at least for me at my age.  I come home absolutely exhausted after work, hungry and filthy. I can relate stories nearly every day that will leave you shaking your head in wonder at the low, low,  private behavior of your fellow human beings. And you know when the news broadcast says "only essential personnel" are expected to brave forbidding weather" to report to work? Rest assured that means the minimum-wage mop jockey is on his or her way through the storm to ensure an adequate supply of toilet paper and clean up the shit that somehow doesn't quite make it in the toilet. It is a job that requires me to be a trip navigator (I am endlessly amazed at the number of folks who take off on a trip and have no idea where they are going, have no map, and have only a vague sense of the shape of Texas), a tour guide (our exhibits prompt all kinds of questions about the area's history), a plumber (water pressure problems, stopped up toilets, overflowing urinals, you know, the fun stuff), and a constant apologist for every ill that plagues our state.  This last is because Texans don't often get a chance to see someone they believe is a state employee face to face. They gripe to the uniform. It's not personal.
But it is a job. And actually, I work for a contractor,  thank goodness for that.  As nasty as the job can be, my immediate supervisors go a long long way to make it at least not suck. They completely handle the really difficult stuff -- septic issues, electrical problems, maintenance chores, and have always been available at a moments notice. Of course, we handle no money, no paperwork besides our time sheets and maintenance
logs (basically your shift's to-do list). For me, it is a virtually stress free job, one that totally consumes me while on duty but that I can totally leave behind when I drive out of the parking lot at the end of the day.
And when I really think about it, no doctor, no senator, no Type A personality corporate executive, no millionaire business owner, has that luxury.I have learned this year that a nasty job with a great boss is far and away more preferable than a great job with a nasty boss.   It seems I have the ideal job, after all.
So I look forward to the New Year employed. What has already been incredibly beneficial to me physically, mentally and financially, can only continue on its way toward positive results.Will there be bumps in the road?
Well, yes. But this year I can afford new tires.

The Truth hurts. Now go wash it and put a bandage on it



1 comment:

  1. We read with interest your blog and meeting you in person on duty at your job was such an exhiliarating experience as well. We love your blog and no intentional or unintentional puns intended.

    We stumbled upon you on our way to nowhere . . . we were the couple who didn't know exactly where we were (you set us straight), had no idea about the area (you eloquently enlightened us on the history of the area) and we enjoyed a group hug which I think we all needed.

    We'd love to keep in touch so we will be following your blog as you can follow ours if you wish: TakeABow.com

    Please call us when the beer's ready Jeri,
    Deena and Ivan

    ReplyDelete